Scurvy Dog

Exactly 4 months ago today, we said goodbye to our dog of 16 years, Mitch. He truly was the best dog ever! I just read the blog I wrote on the day he died and tears immediately started to flow again. That sweet puppy will always and forever hold a special place in my heart. 

A few months before Mitch passed away, we got another doggy. It took a while for Max to get acquainted to our home and used to us. He was so scared of the kids and growled a lot because he was abused before we adopted him. I wasn't sure if he would ever get comfortable or feel at home here. Max and Mitch were good buddies and I believe Mitch taught him a lot about being in this family. When Mitch passed away, something changed in Max. He slowly became the dog of the house and is now very relaxed here. There is no doubt that he feels right at home! He loves the boys. He lets them chase him and play with him. He even lets Tyson pull his tail. Max is just like Mitch in many ways...sometimes it feels like Mitch is still here. 

Max and Mitch
Two of a Kind

Earlier today Evan and I were playing pirates and Max had to be right there with us. Evan quickly came up with a story about Max and why he was on the ship with us. He also named him "Scurvy Dog!" We played for a long time and Max just played right along. It was so sweet to watch him playing with my boys. I couldn't help but think about Mitch, how much I missed him, and feel gratitude for this new puppy we have in our lives. God has been so good to us. He has blessed our family with two of the best dogs we could have ever dreamed of!
Max loves these boys!
Scurvy Dog even got to hold the treasure!


Today I am thankful for Mitch and the many wonderful memories we have of him. After 4 months, the pain is still fresh. I still miss him greatly but I see so much of him in our new friend, Max. It comforts me and has helped us all get over the loss. I am also grateful that Max has gotten so much more comfortable and has become such a good friend for our boys. He will never take Mitch's place in our hearts but "Scurvy Dog" definitely has a special place of his own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes