Pampering vs. Perfecting

Today at MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) we heard a wonderful lesson and then had a great time of discussion at our table. Someone at our table shared something her pastor said, it was "God's love for us is not a pampering love, its a perfecting love." I had never heard that before but I really like it. I've been thinking about it all day. Its so true, if you think about it.

Believers and Non-believers often ask why God allows pain in our lives. Why does He let difficult situations occur? Why doesn't He heal everyone that is sick? Why does He allow abuse? Why doesn't He keep all evil from affecting His children? It's a good question honestly. It doesn't always make a lot of sense to us. I've been thinking about it and I believe that what I heard today is the answer....His love for us is a perfecting love, not a pampering one.

We think that if He truly loved us, He would provide us with everything we want, heal us when we're sick, make things go smoothly, keep others from hurting us, etc. We think that deserve so much and we are offended when we aren't pampered somehow. The truth is, however, that we don't deserve anything. We are entitled to nothing.  Still, He protects us from countless things that we never even consider. Now and then though, He allows those things to happen in our lives because He love us too much to let us stay the way we are. He allows pain and difficulty to teach us and mold us into the people He created us to be. He is perfecting us. It isn't easy but it probably wouldn't happen otherwise. 

Our Father also pampers us in many ways too. He bestows blessing after blessing! I could go on and on about those blessings because I am sooooo thankful for them but I have to say, I'm also thankful for the hardships that my Lord has used and will use to perfect me. No, I don't want bad things to happen and would not wish for any of the things I've already endured to occur again but, I see their value and I'm grateful that God has been at work in my heart, perfecting it.

Today I am grateful that God's love is a perfecting love (and that He pampers us from time to time.) He is so involved in our lives, constantly at work, loving us and perfecting us, if we're willing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes