We Went Deeper Still

This past weekend was one that I will never forget. My sweet friend Angel, and I, attended a retreat in the mountains right outside of Knoxville, TN. The retreat was called Deeper Still. There truly could not be a better title for this weekend away. 


I flew to Knoxville, Angel picked me up, and we spent a little bitty bit of time in downtown Knoxville. 





Then, we drove up the mountain the most gorgeous retreat location, called Eagle Rock. The view was absolutely gorgeous. 


The retreat space exists solely for people and groups to get away and rest awhile. They desire to be a place where folks can spend time with Jesus, be blessed and loved on, and then go home renewed and restored. 


The weekend was beautiful in so many ways. We enjoyed ourselves, engaged in some intense times of prayer, learned a lot, and made several new friends. 


Before we headed back down the mountain, we enjoyed a beautiful service outside. We threw red roses into the fire, symbolizing letting go of the past and our broken view of things.  
Then, we were gifted a white rose, to symbolize the the truth that we are "white as snow."



We were also gifted a lovely garland, a white scarf, an acorn, and our heads were anointed with oil. All of this symbolized Isaiah 61:1-3 which says, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring the good news to the afflicted. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives, and freedom to prisoners. To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God. To comfort all who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified."


To say our weekend was wonderful would be a huge understatement. It was refreshing, illuminating, and healing. I am so grateful for the chance to spend some time away. To rest awhile and come home renewed and ready to continue with the callings God has placed on my life. This type of self-care and rest is something I've never been good at doing. I hope to make this a priority so I am not running on empty all of the time, but instead I'll be filled up and able to pour into others. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes