These Are Such Odd Times...


This is a peek at my life at 7am in the morning. We have a huge sectional couch yet 3 of my 4 kids are piled on top of me. All 4 are arguing over what they will be dressing up as for Halloween (its only April).
These are odd times. I've barely had 5 minutes alone in 49 days. (Seriously, my daughter even insisted on taking a shower with me yesterday). I've been dreaming of binge watching Netflix like so many of my Facebook friends but instead, I have watched every episode of Mickey Mouse 42 times. My attempts to keep the house clean and organized have been exceptional, but my skills are no match against my quarantined husband, 4 kids, and 2 dogs. I helped host a virtual baby shower last week and I'm currently planning a zoom birthday party for my son. Out of boredom (and the need for my grays to be covered) I dyed my hair and the outcome is much bolder than I anticipated. I've stayed up past midnight multiple times just for the chance to select a Wal-mart delivery time slot. I've hoped to read at least one of the many books on my list, but instead I've read the same issue of Ranger Rick magazine 17 times at my daughter's request. Anytime we leave the house, my entire family wears masks. I've been frantically searching for Clorox wipes online and spraying every piece of in-coming mail and every grocery item with Lysol. Our family has used almost a gallon of hand sanitizer and we've had numerous meals delivered by an Uber driver. I have worn yoga pants and a ponytail more than ever before. My sons have been learning Karate in our living room via video conferencing and our daughter does the same for dance. Sometimes I wake up and seriously ask myself it I am going crazy because all of this is so surreal.
Honestly, there is a lot to be upset about in these days. The ministry I've poured so much time and energy into has come to a screeching halt because I am immuno-compromised and just can't risk it. My kids ask daily when they can visit their grandparents and they don't fully understand why I won't let them. We were supposed to be returning from the kid's first cruise to the Bahamas. Instead, I am seeking out yet another "Boredom Buster" activity to keep us all from going insane. I am exhausted and have been fighting against anxiety and depression because I've never been a "homebody" and I miss being around other adults. I have settled a trillion kid arguments and I've been unable to help a friend the way I wanted to, which is heart-breaking for me. We've been missing our extracurricular activities, homeschool co-op, field trips, church family, and friends. So many of the events we've been looking forward to have been cancelled and our routine has been thrown completely out of whack. There are financial concerns, health risks, and uncertainty all around.
It would be easy to focus entirely on the craziness and difficulties during this time. In fact, that's the norm for so many people. But God has continuously reminded me that perspective, or the way in which we look at life, is a choice. So, instead of whining or worrying, I choose to seek out all the reasons I have to be grateful in this unprecedented time...
I have had more uninterrupted, un-rushed time with my family than ever before. My husband has been home with us 24/7 for over a month. We have enjoyed many fun activities together as a family that we would have never had time for before. My boys have spent hours outside fishing in our pond and discovering all types of critters. We have watched multiple church services and Biblical shows together as a family. We have observed as our country has quickly adapted to this new way of life. My kids have spent hours playing together with playdough, board games, and their imaginations. Our family movie nights now involve brand-new movies that are available for rent instead of going to the theater. We've watched the world come together in many ways, finding ways to laugh instead of cry, and creatively sharing hope and encouragement with others. My husband and I have enjoyed time in the hammock and laughed hysterically together over the ridiculous life of the Tiger King. Our family has prayed together and celebrated Easter together, in a way that we have never done before. I've had time to potty train my 2 year old and been able to spend one-on-one time with each of my children. I've released some of my need to have a tidy house (because I would have gone crazy by now if not). Since we have nothing to do and the calendar is clear, I've been able to relax in ways that I've never experienced before. I've realized my constant need for Jesus to help balance my emotions and the power of a simple prayer or worship song.
Truthfully, when I think of things going "back to normal," my stomach churns. Anxiety builds up within me when I consider returning to the hustle and bustle we experienced before the pandemic. Of course, I definitely don't want to be housebound forever, but I pray that all the good that I've witnessed and experienced will not simply fade.
Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."That's exactly what I've seen happen through COVID-19. God has used it for good in so many ways.
The Passion Translation of that verse says,"So we are convinced that every detail of our lives is continually woven together to fit into God’s perfect plan of bringing good into our lives." My prayer is that we will not quickly throw off all the good that God has brought into our lives during this time. It would be a tragedy for all that's been learned and enjoyed to be lost.
Today I am grateful for so many good things that God has brought out of this very odd time in our lives. I also want encourage you to consider all the good you have noticed through all of this, I promise you'll be glad you did. And may the good God has brought out of this pandemic have a lasting effect on your family for generations to come.
"For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations." Psalm 100:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes