Carefree



Bryan and I volunteer each week with the elementary aged children at church.  This morning, while the kids were singing praise songs. a few of the little girls were asked to get up on stage to dance and sing along. They were adorable! The littlest girl on the far left was having a blast! She danced, sang, sat down, jumped around, rolled on the floor, ran around the room, and even did a flip or two.

The teacher in me wanted to make her stand still, sing quietly, and conform to the way everyone else was acting but then I recalled something said during the adult worship service. Someone said, "As God's children, we should worship without holding back." They used several examples including football games and our children's accomplishments as proof that we know how to celebrate without holding back. So why are we so reserved when praising our Creator and King? Sadly, our Savior and Defender often gets the most cautious and detached praise. 

As I watched this little girl swaying and skipping about, I saw her as the perfect illustration of someone praising without holding back. 


I was reminded of David dancing for the Lord when the Ark of the Covenant was brought back to Isreal in 2 Samuel 6.  Even though even his own wife didn't understand his praise, in verses 21 and 22 David said, "I will celebrate before the Lord.  I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." God is blessed by our praise! He doesn't want us to focus on what others think or what others are doing. He has given us so much. We need to praise Him without holding back!

Today I am grateful for this little girl's carefree way of praising God. Honestly, we can learn so much from children! There is no way Jesus was unhappy with her dancing and praising! She was joyful and pure. I hope my praise is carefree and joyful and pleasing to God, just like hers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes