S.O.A.P.

I started doing a Bible study recently called "Truth Over Lies." Mostly, the entire study is scripture the author has chosen that applies to the weekly topic. We have learned to study scripture using the S.O.A.P. study method.  S stands for scripture---writing out all the verses. O stands for Observation---writing down what is observed in the verses. A stands for Application---writing down how God's Word has become personal. P stands for prayer---praying God's Word back to Him. 

I wasn't sure if I would like this method of study but it has proven to be a wonderful way to dive into God's Word! After 4 weeks of studying this way, I am hooked! I have been learning so much without anyone else's input. I'm just reading God's Word and pulling out what I see and how it applies to my life. It's amazing what God is teaching me!

I recently studied Proverbs 3:5-6 which says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." I've read these verses many, many times but this time I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

In these verses the Bible teaches that we cannot lean on our own understanding and trust God at the same time. The verse says, that we need to trust God with all our hearts and NOT lean on our own understanding. So trusting God may not always make sense, we may not understand all that is happening, but that's ok because when we submit to Him, He makes our paths straight.

Another example of what I've learned comes from Isaiah 43:2 which says, " When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."

Again, this wasn't the first time I've read these verses but I found something new in them this time. This passage doesn't say, "if you pass through waters I will be with you." No, this verse says, "when." So, WHEN we pass through the waters of life He will be with us and WHEN we walk through the fire we will not be burned. This is a promise for us to carry through the difficult times---because as it says, there will be difficult times -- not only will He be with us but we will not be destroyed.

I could go on and on. God is really speaking to me and I truly love it! I've been doing Bible studies for years and so many of them have been amazing but I really love that this one is teaching me to study on my own and hear directly from God!

Today I am grateful for the little lessons God is teaching me! I am thankful for the S.O.A.P. study method and how I am learning to study on my own! I am also grateful for the Word of God. It is taken for granted in so many ways! I am so glad to be gaining wisdom, comfort, peace, and joy from it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes