What is BEAUTY anyway?

My entire life, I've thought that being thin played an enormous role in how pretty someone is. I've realized lately that my weight and my appearance have had me in bondage. I've let my worth be determined by my pants size. I know this isn't how God determines worth. I know God doesn't want me to spend all of my time worrying over the number on the scale or what others think about how I look in bathing suit.  I know there is more to a person than their size.

So, recently I asked God to teach me what true beauty is. I guess I've just been really pondering what TRULY makes someone beautiful. God has been faithful to teach me this week. The first verse I stumbled across was Ezekiel 16:14. It says, "I dressed you in my splendor and perfected your beauty, says the Sovereign LORD." God wants me (and you) to know that we are perfect in beauty because He made us that way!"

So what does that beauty look like?

Don't worry, He hasn't left me hanging....it just so happened that this week, four years ago, my grandmother passed away. So I have seen several pictures of her in my memories on my Facebook newsfeed this week. I also came across this blog I wrote about her...



I had already been reading about the Virtuous Woman this week in Proverbs 31:10-29 and then one of my dear friends who has been praying for me felt lead to text those same verses to me this morning. And then, I read the blog above written about my grandmother, comparing her to those exact verses! I know God is giving me a clear definition of what He sees as beautiful.

And then I see this verse.... "Beauty should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." 1 Peter 3:4

Ok God, I see it! I see that your Word gives us a clear picture of what true beauty is!  I spent some time thinking about the women in my life that have/ had a gentle and quiet spirit and ya know, they all have those same "Virtuous Woman" traits as well! They are beautiful, gorgeous even. They are all different shapes, sizes, shades, and even have very different personalities. 

My Grandma Davis was elegant and poised, respected and loved, organized and prepared, hardworking and selfless, kind and soft spoken, and an amazing homemaker.  She was a quiet, mild woman but there are so many other ladies that I can think of that have those virtuous qualities that aren't so quiet and mild. In fact, some of them are loud and full of energy! Some are skinny and tall, some a short and fluffy, some are blonds and some are gray. God has shown me that their outward appearance NOTHING to do with their beauty. Their spirit is what reveals the perfect beauty God has dressed them in. 

I've also thought a lot about how physical beauty fades over the years but the beauty of our spirit is unfading. I never knew my grandmother as a young, 30-something Mama of 4. I bet she was just as beautiful physically as she was in her spirit. But ya know, it really wouldn't have mattered if she wasn't pretty at all physically. She would have still been the same person. She would have still had the same lasting impact on her family and friends. She would have still been valued by the One who dressed her in splendor. 

Today I am grateful for God's definition of beauty. He says in His Word that He gives it to us...we are perfect in beauty because of what He has done...that really takes the pressure off of us! I am also thankful that when we ask Him to help us understand the way HE sees us, He is so faithful to do so. God has blown my mind this week! He has given me a whole new definition of beauty. He has helped me to desire those virtuous traits more than I desire a smaller waist. My prayer is that deep down, I will have a new idea of what true beauty is and stop wasting my time worrying about the things that will fade away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes