Take My Hand


Today during our church service we sang "Good Shepherd." I love this song! My favorite line says, "Take my hand and lead me home." Singing those words today made me ponder what that really means....for God to take my hand and lead me.

Of course, I began to envision my boys. No matter where we're going or what we're doing, if my boys reach their hand for me to hold, I grab it. If they are willing to let me lead them, I do it! Especially when we're crossing the street or walking through a crowded area, I never let go. As a parent, I will take my child's hand and guide them happily. I am not burdened by their desire to be lead or annoyed that they need me to be their guide. I will always be here to lead them. Willingly. Gladly.

 I believe the same is true for God. We often view God as someone that is annoyed by our neediness or aggravated that He has to hold our hands through life's ups and downs. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He is eager to be our Guide and wants nothing more than for us to depend fully on Him, letting Him take our hands. Just like I want to guide my boys and I love to hold their hands, God gladly leads His children.

We were created to be loved....that is the WHOLE reason we were created. Yes, God has a purpose for us and has great plans for us but all the while, the whole reason for creating us is to love us. Why wouldn't He want to lead His children, the Ones He created to love, through this dark and dangerous world?

Today I am grateful that I am on a pilgrimage, making my way through this life, and I'm not traveling alone. My Father lovingly takes my hand and leads me. There is nothing I have to do to win His approval and there is nothing I can do that would keep Him from loving me. Thankfully, He wants to be my Guide. He wants to hold my hand. And He will lead me all the way home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes