"We ensure the freedom of the free"

"In giving freedom to the slaves, we ensure the freedom of the free." -Lincoln

We spend every Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania with Bryan's grandmother. We love driving up north to spend time with family. We also usually try to make it an educational trip as well. We've gone to NYC to see the Freedom Tower, to Washington DC to see our Nation's capital, and today on our way up we stopped at Gettysburg. Anyone who knows Dylan knows that he LOVES learning about the Civil war! He has been anticipating this trip for weeks. As we toured the museum and drove through the battlefields, Dylan was our own personal tour guide! He told us all about the different battle sites, the union/confederate positions, who won each battle, who died and who lived, and how many casualties there were. He also named the generals, the privates, and even the rifle boys (I had no clue about any of this, he has taught me so much!) He also recited most of the Gettysburg Address!

Learning some more Civil War facts,,,,
Standing in front of a painting of Little Round Top
My boys with "Honest Abe" (as Dylan likes to call him)
Tyson was such a trooper today!
Me and my boys with an authentic Civil War cannon.

Not only was I blown away by all the information my 6 year old was telling me, I was really touched by being at Gettysburg. Over 51,000 men were killed, wounded, captured, or went missing right where I was standing today.  It's easy to look right past those numbers because it happened so long ago and we've heard it all before, but really try to take that number in...51,000 men. Daddies. Sons. Husbands. Uncles. Brothers. Friends. The war itself must have been absolutely horrible but can you even imagine what everyday life was like for the individual communities? Everyone had lost someone. The future must have looked so bleak. Hope must have been almost nonexistent. Depression and sadness must have filled each household. It breaks my heart to even think of it. We live in a time where we take freedom for granted. These men gave everything so that ALL men really could be treated equally. Their families also sacrificed so much for that freedom. Abraham Lincoln said, "In giving freedom to the slaves, we ensure the freedom of the free." I love that quote because its so true. The Civil war did give freedom to those who were enslaved but it also made freedom an American right for everyone who lives here, therefore ensuring freedom to future generations. The men who died and the families who sacrificed did that for me and for you! 

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13

Today I am thankful for all that took place so many years ago at Gettysburg. I am also grateful for the countless other battles that were fought for freedom. We forget how blessed we are to live in this amazing country! God truly has blessed America! I am also thankful that my sons are interested in learning about these important historical events. Maybe they will grow up realizing how precious the gift of freedom truly is. Maybe they will teach it to the next generation. Mostly, I am incredibly grateful that the men who gave their lives  fighting for freedom, also ensured my freedom and freedom for my sons. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes