You can't bury influence...

We said "goodbye" to Pawpaw Davis today. As hard as it is, I wouldn't dare ask him to come back. I know he is having a blast with Grandma in Heaven! During the service today the Pastor shared something that has been stuck in my mind all evening. He said, "You can't bury influence." I think that is a good reminder for the 4 children, 6 grandchildren, and 13 great grandchildren that Bruce Davis left behind. Although he is gone, the influence he has had on all of our lives can never be taken away. Yes, we buried our grandfather today but we didn't bury his memory or the influence he had upon us.

Psalm 128:5-6 says, "May the Lord bless you from Zion, so that you will see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life and will see your children's children!"  Its obvious to me that God blessed Pawpaw Davis because not only did he see his children's children, he saw his children's children's children! My Grandma and Pawpaw Davis were very involved in all of our lives. From the oldest son to the youngest great grandchild, they loved us all and we knew it. They both had a terrific influence on us and helped make each one of us who we are today. They are gone now but the time and love they invested in us will never be forgotten and their influence lives on in each of us.

Today, after Pawpaw's funeral, the whole family (minus 2) gathered in the sanctuary for a photograph. It isn't often that we are all together so it was the perfect time to snap a photo. My grandparents helped start the church we were standing in. My pawpaw literally helped build it. As we stood there I couldn't help but think back on that young couple who help begin Memorial United Church of Christ. Did they ever imagine that one day their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren would fill the entire stage of the church? Did they ever imagine the number of souls they would impact? I believe they were smiling down on us today as we gathered in the church they built. They are gone but we live. We have the opportunity to keep their memory and their influence alive. 


Today I am thankful that influence cannot be taken away. Things often change quite a bit when someone passes away but we don't change. The people we've become because of the influence others have upon us doesn't change. When the person vanishes, the impact they've had on us stays. That is such a wonderful thought. It inspires me to be a positive influence on everyone I come in contact with. Even if I go, that impact will never go away. I am also grateful for the influence my grandparents had on me. Grandparents are special. Everyone knows that. Their influence is tremendous upon little souls. I'm thankful that I had good grandparents. And even though all of my grandparents have passed away, their influence on my life remains. That influence can't be buried!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes