Two Big Cities in Two Days

Me and my guys have been super busy this weekend! Early Saturday morning we boarded a train in Hoboken, NJ and traveled over to New York City. When we arrived in the Big Apple we took the subway to Times Square. The boys were amazed by all the lights and traffic! We went to the ToysRus which is known as the "world's greatest toy store." It was huge! They even had a ferris wheel in the middle of the store! Next we ate lunch at McDonald's in Times Square and then took the subway to 9/11 memorial. 

Bryan, Dylan and Grandma (Cheryl) on the subway
Me and Darcie on the subway
Evan saw Elmo outside of ToysRus!
Even though Dylan is only 5 years old, he is very interested in the attacks of 9/11. We would have never told our little boy about the attacks but he saw a picture at some point and had a lot of very heartfelt, thoughtful questions. My husband and I were open and honest with him about it because we feel that is the best way to be. He has spent lots of hours learning about the attacks and even praying for the families who lost loved ones. One of the main reasons we wanted to take this trip is because Dylan has wanted to see the 9/11 memorial for a while. I was so touched as I watched him peer at that enormous memorial. He was so glad to be there. My little boy has a big heart so we were happy to be a part of this little dream of his.


Taking it all in.... 
Standing by this big oak tree that survived the attacks of 9/11
Writing his note to the families that lost loved ones.
He wrote "God loves you!" and drew the twin towers
Placing his note with all the others inside St Paul's church.
This church should have burned in the attacks but didn't!
After leaving Manhattan, we drove to Washington DC to spend the night. Bright and early this morning, we took the subway to the Pentagon and then to see the White House. Dylan said he would be living in that house one day, when he is the president. Next we took a petty cab to Ford's Theater. Dylan described the petty cab as a bike and buggy! It was actually a lot of fun! Dylan absolutely loved the tour of Ford's Theater. He is a history buff like his daddy. After taking the subway back to the hotel, we started the long journey home. 

On the bike and buggy....

Us in front of Dylan's future home...the White House!
Today I am thankful for the ability to go on a little vacation with my family. On the way home I asked Dylan what his favorite part of the trip was. He responded, "Definitely the 9/11 memorial." I know Evan's favorite part because he hasn't stopped talking about it! While at the toy store on Saturday, Evan saw Elmo! Bryan and I had a terrific time sharing two big cities in two days with our sweet little boys! I am also grateful that we live in such an awesome country. There are so many things to do and places to visit. I want to see as much of it as I can with my sweet little family!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes