To breathe your last....

Yesterday my mom, my stepdad, and I went to the hospital again to spend some time with my Pawpaw. As we stood around him I read Psalms to him. It was amazing to see him respond with different movements and sounds. He could hear the Word of God! Reading it was a great comfort to us and to him as well, I'm sure.  While reading I came across the perfect verse for him. Psalm 142:7 says "Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me." As I watched my Pawpaw lying there, held prisoner inside his own body, I couldn't help but cry out to God to help him, to release him. 

This afternoon, all my Pawpaw's children and my brother and I gathered by Pawpaw's side. The nurses gently removed his breathing tube and we watched him breathe his final breaths. I'll be honest, it was an to honor to be with him as he slipped away. I've heard it said, "To breathe your last on earth is to breathe your first in Heaven." I got to witness my Pawpaw breathe his first breath in the presence of his Savior. It was sad and amazing all in the same moment. 

My first thought was, "Thank You Jesus for releasing him from his prison. Thank You for making it possible for him to spend eternity in Heaven." My second thought was, "Grandma must be so happy to see him!" Yesterday was their 67th wedding anniversary. She went home 18 months ago so they spent 2 anniversaries apart but they will never be apart again. They spent almost their entire lives together and they'll spend forever together now. 

Pawpaw and Grandma when they were dating.
Grandma and Pawpaw just a couple of years ago.
Today I am thankful that God released my Pawpaw from his prison. Although it is so sad to see him go, because of Jesus' sacrifice, I know I will see him again. I am also grateful that I was present as the angels ushered him into Heaven. What a privilege that was! Mostly, I am incredibly thankful that my grandparents will never spend another anniversary apart. They both knew Jesus as their personal Savior. I know because I asked them! Don't ever be afraid to ask your loved ones if they truly know Jesus. Jesus is the only guarantee to seeing them again once they've breathed their last. Its actually the most important question you could ever ask the ones you care about. 

"Blessed are those you choose and bring near to live in your courts! We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple." Psalm 65:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes