A Heart For People

This evening Dylan and I went to a "packing party" at church to help prepare for the Big Give event on Saturday. It's a way for our church to bless the community with free food, hair cuts, health screenings, and school supplies. Our job tonight was supposed to be packing book bags full of school supplies. It was decided that some folks should go out into the surrounding neighborhoods to invite families to our event. Dylan and I had been planning on packing book bags and it never even occurred to me to ask him if he wanted to out into the community instead. As we waited for a few people to volunteer to do this, Dylan tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Let's do it!" 
So, we did.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think going door to door is something most people enjoy doing. Its scary for most people! I was so proud of my boy for volunteering to go out into the community. He told me that he wanted to make sure people knew about our event so they could come and get what they need for the school year. 

Dylan didn't just stand back while everyone else
talked. He wanted to knock on the door
and welcome them to our event himself!

 Kids were coming from every
direction to get pizzas! Dylan was
so happy to give them a box!
My big boy!!!


Today I am thankful for the young man Dylan is becoming! He surprised me this evening! I never imagined he would choose to step out of his comfort zone and go door to door to be a blessing to others. God is surely at work in his heart. He's creating and molding a heart for people within my boy! I am also grateful to be a part of a church family that is always serving the community. My family always has opportunities to serve and use the gifts God has given us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes