You're His Favorite

Lately I keep being reminded of something that happened a few years ago, when my grandmother passed away. All of the family was standing in a line beside her coffin, shaking hands with her friends and extended family. My grandmother had 6 grandchildren and I was the baby, so my husband and I were standing at the very end of the receiving line. An adorable elderly lady came up to me and whispered some of the sweetest words in my ear. She said, "You were always her favorite."

I have no clue if that was true. For all I know, she may have said that in every grandchild's ear. I do know, that those words touched my heart in that moment in a way that no other words could have. Those words have stuck with me. And even now, I as I replay that scenario in my mind, tears fill my eyes. 

Maybe that phrase wouldn't mean as much to other people, I'm really not sure. For me, I've always longed to be someone's favorite. I won't go into details but I've honestly never really felt that way for so many reasons, growing up or as an adult. I've always just felt like one of the many or the unfavored one, or the one that gets put up with, but isn't chosen. To hear that I was my grandmother's favorite, even if it wasn't true, blessed my heart in way I can't even explain.

Today during church, I felt God say to me, "You are my favorite." I needed so badly to hear that today. His words touched my heart the same way those sweet lady's words touched my heart. Now, I know that God loves all of His children equally. I know that I am not favored over all the other people in the world. BUT, I also know that God truly loves me just the way I am, with my flaws, my fears, my shortcuts, and in a way that I can't even understand. He would love me that way, even if I was the only one. Jesus would have died for me, even if I was the only one. I am His chosen, adored, and valued daughter.

"For you are a people holy to the Lord your God, and the Lord has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession." Deuteronomy 14:2

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide." John 15:16a

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9

Today I am grateful to be God's favorite. I am thankful that you are as well! He doesn't love us the way other people do or even the way we love others. He loves us with an unending, unconditional, flawless, beautiful love that exceeds anything we can comprehend. When you're feeling forgotten, unloved, or alone, remember that God sees you. He loves you. You are His favorite. He doesn't have to love you that way. He chooses to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes