Enjoy the Ride

 

This morning I visited a special lady in the nursing home. It's been a long time since I've seen her because of Covid restricitions. Nana is my husband's grandmother but she always referred to me her as granddaughter. She's been a part of my life for 25 years and I believe we've had a special connection, especially since all of my grandparents passed away years ago. Seeing her physical condition sadden my heart but when I sat down beside her and said her name, she looked right at me and smiled. I spent time reading scripture and singing hymns to her. I'm not sure if she knew who I was but I know my presence brought her peace and joy. 

I read 2 Corinthians 2:9 to her which says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
    and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him.” After reading that verse I looked at her and said, "You have so much to look forward to, don't you!?" Her eyes widened and she smiled the biggest smile. It made my heart leap with joy! 


As I held her hand today, I wondered what she must be thinking--being at the end of her life, anticipating all that God has prepared for her. I wonder what she would say to me, if she could respond. Does she often recall the many wonderful memories throughout her life? Does she have many regrets? Does she wish she had made more money through the years or had more time with her family? What advice would she give me? 

Recently, I heard a song that said, "You're in the middle of the ride." Those words keep popping into my mind.  Sometimes the moments we're in feel all encompassing. We can't see past the situtations or feelings we're experiencing. It's hard for us to see that we are in the middle of our ride. We don't know when our ride will come to an end. It could happen at any time. It could end slowly or suddenly. But if we're blessed with a long, full life, we will know we're at the end, and things will probably look different to us.

I believe if Nana could tell me what she's thinking or give me advice, she would encourage me to enjoy the ride. I think she would say, "Once we get to the end of the ride, so much of what we've spent our time doing and worrying over doesn't matter. So, don't waste your time worrying and trying to be perfect." As I looked at her today, I realized that it no longer matters what job she had, how much money she made, or even what she looked like. Now, at the end of her ride, the only things that matter are the influence she had on others and her relationship with the One she is waiting to bring her home. 


As she squeezed my hand and peered into my eyes, God used Nana to give me some words to cling to. I want to remember that I'm in the middle of the ride. It can be a bumpy, long, tiring ride at times but it's also joyful, fun, and beautiful. Whether or not I enjoy this middle poriton of my ride, is 100% up to me. How I spend these days and years, how much I love others, and what I focus on is entirely up to me. When I come to the end of the ride, I want to look back with a smile, knowing that I had a wonderfully positive influence on those around me and that I made my relationship with my Savior a priority. Afterall, those are the things that truly matter. 

Thank you, Nana.


Tori









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes