Psalm 84: 11-12

For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
    the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
    from those whose walk is blameless. 
Lord Almighty, blessed is 
the one who trusts in you
Psalm 84: 11-12

I've been pondering Psalm 84:11-12 for a couple of weeks now. It has become one of my favorite verses. After really digging into this verse on my own and in Bible study this morning, I feel like God speaks volumes through these 38 simple words. 

God is a sun and a shield. Like the sun, God provides for us, nourishes us, and is always present. The sun provides hope with each new day, just as God gives hope in even the worst situation. Like a shield, God protects us and gives us security. We can hide behind Him and feel safe. But, a shield does no good just laying near by. It only protects when picked up and used appropriately. The same is true with God. If we don't acknowledge Him, if we don't get to know Him, if we don't truly depend on Him and walk with Him, we won't receive the protection, security, and peace that He freely offers us.

The Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. I've been thinking a lot about this portion of the verse. The more I meditate on this portion, the more I realize that this is absolutely true. Even the "bad" things of life are often blessings in disguise. When I look back on the past 5 years I recall many disappointing, difficult, scary, lonely situations. At the time they didn't seem like good gifts from God but now it is obvious that God allowed those things in my life because He withholds no good thing. I needed all the good and "bad" things of life to make me the person I am right now. As I walk into tomorrow, knowing that truth causes fear disappear and worry disintegrate.  God is in complete control. He will give me favor and honor and keep nothing good from me. He knows what is best for me and promises to give me everything I need. I just have to walk uprightly, seeking Him, loving Him, allowing Him to be my sun and my shield.


Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord. Is there any better promise than this? If I trust Him, I will be blessed. All I can say is THANK YOU! I trust the Lord Almighty so I can know that He will bless me. These blessings may not always look like the world's definition of "blessed" but without doubt, God will bless me. His Word says so!

Do you see why I love this verse? It describes who our Lord is and what He will do for us. Our part of the deal is pretty easy...He just wants us to trust Him and walk with Him. I'll gladly do that! Today I am thankful that God is my sun and my shield. He bestows only good things in my life and He blesses me. I don't say thank you enough for these amazing gifts. I am also thankful for the Bible study I am currently doing at Community Bible Church. The study is called "SEED" by Priscilla Shirer. She is teaching us to really dive into the Word and let God speak to us personally. I have truly enjoyed it so far. I am grateful that God speaks to me and that through His Word I can know Him more. 

 

Comments

  1. Love this! God has used you to help me better understand this wonderful passage. Thank you!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a timely blessing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Beauty from Ashes