I'm Changing the Saying!




The saying, "She believed she could so she did," has been popular for a while now. I've always looked at that saying and had an odd feeling about it. I liked it but then again, I didn't feel right about it. I'm not sure where this notebook came from; maybe I bought it or maybe someone gave it to me. I found it in my drawer a few weeks ago and I've been using it as a journal for a while. Every time I've written in it I've looked at the cover and honestly, the more I looked at it, the more unsettled I felt by it. 

We obviously live in a time where women are experiencing surges of power and have more control over our own destiny than ever before. If you listen closely, you can almost hear a continuous underlying soundtrack of  Helen Reddy's, "I Am Woman Hear Me Roar." I know women have SO much to offer and we deserve the chance to chase our dreams. Let's just be honest, we can do almost anything we put our minds to. 

But, the Bible says, "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9

This verse points out why the, "she believed she could," saying has never sat well with me. Woman are incredible and we definitely have the right to try and make something of our lives but, I believe we are often guilty of misplacing the credit.

Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." God is the one who deserves all the praise for what we accomplish. Sure, we get some kudos for being willing to work hard and keep going, but the dreams we have in our hearts and the abilities we use to achieve them, are gifts from God.

And what if it doesn't work? What if women believe we can but we don't, can't, or fail? That is way too much pressure to put on ourselves, our friends and our daughters. Sometimes things don't happen because they aren't the things God created us to do. The good news is, when we mess up or things don't work out, we can rest in God's sovereignty instead of beating ourselves up.
Whew, that's a relief!

Today I am grateful that I can completely trust because I believe GOD CAN! No matter what the situation is, I know God CAN direct my steps and He WILL. I am also thankful that my willingness to work hard and my perseverance are used by God. And when I mess things up or go in the wrong direction, He is faithful to correct my course.

She Believed God Could, So She Trusted....
That sounds much better, doesn't it?!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes