Maybe Things Do Get Better With Age

When I turned 35 years old I distinctly remember feeling like it was no big deal. That was until I filled out a form that looked a lot like this....


What???? Because I aged one year I'm now lumped in with the fortysomethings? 
I assumed though, that would be the biggest "pill" I'd have to swallow in my 35th year. 
Well, I was wrong.

This past year has had a lot of hard things but also a lot of good things. I've learned a lot about myself, about God, and about my deep, neverending need for Him. I've felt a great deal of pain physically and emotionally. I've endured rejection that changed how I view friendship and acceptance that reminded me that God's ways are better. I spent 3 months recovering from wisdom teeth removal which taught me patience and perseverance. I've began homeschooling 3 children at once and I've been learning so much from my children as their teacher and their mom.  I've stepped out in faith and began a homeschooling co-op with some of the most amazing families I've ever met.  I've been diagnosed with a rare auto-immune disorder that answered so many questions and gave me an odd freedom that has truly changed how I view myself. And to top it off, because of my chemo treatments, my hair is now curly!



I sent my dad a text last week showing him my new curls (because this is seriously strange....my hair has always been stick straight) and he replied with this GIF....


My dad has no idea but God has been using that GIF to speak to me all week!  As I turn 36 today and begin a new year, I believe this is what God is doing in my life! He's using the difficulties, the love, the hardships, the encouragement, the moments of sadness and the moments of joy to transform me into the woman He created me to be. Some people had to be removed from my life. Some hidden physical ailments had to be exposed. Some steps of faith needed to be taken.  Some confidence needed to be found.

He is doing a new thing.
The curls are almost a comical outward expression of all the inward changes taking place! Although there are so many unknowns going forward, I am fully confident in the One who is guiding me.

 I am so grateful.

Grateful for all that He is doing. Grateful that He never gives up on me. Grateful that He brings beauty from ashes. And grateful for all the amazing gifts He has given me.

Here's to diving deeper into the 35-44 age bracket!
Maybe things do get better with age!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes