Lessons Learned in the Strangest of Places

Today we were driving toward Branson, MO when we realized we would be traveling through Memphis, TN. We aren't huge Elvis fans but how often does one get the chance to visit Graceland? So, we decided to take a pit stop and visit the mansion of the King of Rock and Roll! 

That's the mansion, right behind  us 

We couldn't seem to get all of us in the picture

Graceland

The Living Room

A portrait of Elvis

The Dining Room

The Media Room

The Billiards Room

This cross is located close to the gravesides of Elvis and his parents
There is also a memorial for his twin brother that was still born


Elvis' tombstone
It was moved to Graceland because people wouldn't leave him alone, even in death

I never, ever thought I would be at Graceland!

See Tyson hiding in there?
Tyson didn't want to be in another picture


This was a spontaneous stop for us! We never thought we would end up at Graceland but I'm honestly very grateful we made this stop! I'm telling you, God speaks to me all the time through the strangest of situations! As I walked around Graceland, learning more about who Elvis was, I was so convicted by my opinion of him previously. I didn't think badly really, but I just assumed he was a shallow man who loved women, money, and rock and roll. I also assumed he died of a drug overdose but he actually passed away because a heart attack most likely caused by an allergic reaction to codeine, taken because of dental work. All that I've ever seen of him was a "show" really, according to those who really knew him. Elvis was a truly kind , humble man. He was a humanitarian and a family man. He even said the best times he ever had were at Graceland with his family. 

It's interesting how we (humans)  tend to make quick assumptions about other people. Why do we do that? I don't think I'm typically a judgmental person but today, as I learned about Elvis, I felt like I had judged him all wrong. God used that to make me think twice about assuming I know anything. Honestly, we are all more than meets the eye. People are complex and dynamic! God made us with so many amazing traits and facets to our personalities. Yes, Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll and he was an incredible performer, but Graceland focused a little more on WHO he was, instead of how the world viewed him, and I was grateful to learn more about the real Elvis.

What a great lesson my Father taught me today...in Graceland of all places. My prayer is that God would help me see others the way He does and today, I feel like I got a glimpse of the man God created Elvis to be.


Comments

  1. Hi,

    Such a great post. I trust that your family had a wonderful time. Its true. God has a way of showing us in mysterious ways we do not understand or cannot comprehend. Gods ways are not our ways.

    Reading around your blog has encouraged me to go forth with my gratitude blog and not give up.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes