Rest Contentedly this Thanksgiving



I turn the page on this calendar everyday and most days I just read it and forget it but today, I really liked the little thought. It's something I try to do often but honestly, life is too crazy and busy to sit quietly and rest contentedly very often. Miraculously, I found some time today to just sit and truly ponder God's goodness and faithfulness.

This evening we had Thanksgiving dinner at Bryan's Mom and Dad's house. I spent my first Thanksgiving at their home in 1996! I've spent EVERY Thanksgiving with Bryan's family since then! That is TWENTY-ONE years!!!! What????

 For many years we traveled to Pennsylvania to see Bryan's grandparents for Thanksgiving but now, we are back to the original tradition of having Thanksgiving dinner at his Mom and Dad's house. Tonight, after dinner, our kids helped their Grandma get all of her Christmas decorations down from the attic. While they were doing that, I sat in the living room rocking Allison in a rocking chair. I had a full 15 minutes of just sitting and resting contentedly. As I sat and watched my little boys climbing the attic stairs,  I recalled so many past Thanksgivings. My, how things have changed over these 21 years. We've changed so much, grown so much, and been given so much. I couldn't help but ponder God's goodness and faithfulness. Not once have we deserved all that He has given us but WOW, He has really been active in our lives!




When I look at that picture of me, 21 years ago, I wish I could tell myself so many things.....things to protect myself and warn myself and give myself hope. But ya know, every year that has passed and all that those years contained have made me who I am today. And I am proof of God's faithfulness. 

Resting contentedly is something I need to do more often! Its really good for the soul to truly take in what God has done. There have been many difficult times over the past 21 years. I've made a lot of mistakes and I've been hurt many times but looking back, all I can see is what HE has done for me. The picture taken today is exactly what that 14 year old year dreamed of having one day.  I wouldn't have guessed 4 kids or that I'd be a homeschooling mom but the life I have now, is the one I used to dream of having. 

Today I am grateful the reminder to sit and ponder God's goodness. Its easy to rush through life and forget to enjoy what God has done for us. I needed the reminder to rest and take it all in. I am also thankful the many, many blessings God has blessed me with. Its amazing for me to think that when I was sitting at that table at 14 years old, God already knew what was to come. He already had these great plans for Bryan and me. He already knew that 21 years later my kids would be climbing in the attic. How incredible is that? It's comforting to me to also know that He sees 21 years from today too. 

Our days are in His hands. We can rest contentedly in that!

If you're reading this, I pray that you will also rest contentedly this Thanksgiving and ponder all that God has done!

Comments

  1. Hello! I've been reading your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!! I'm glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave an encouraging message

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes