Out With the Old, In With the New

 


 I've been using the same Bible since 2000 when my church gifted it to me as a high school graduation gift. Well, to be honest, I didn't open it for several of those years, but it's been used almost daily for the past 15 years or so. I've been replacing my Bible because this one has meant so much to me. It is literally falling apart and been taped together too many times to count, but it also has so many little notes in it, high-lighted verses, and dates of when I've prayed specific vereses and my prayers were answered. 

I found out that a new Bible I've had "my eye on" was on sale for only $10 (normally $60!) so I decided it was time to make the change. I've had the new Bible for a few weeks but hadn't been able to make the switch yet. This morning, I took my old Bible out of my bag and replaced it with the new one. I knew I had been delaying making the switch but I had no idea how this would affect me. 

I looked at my old Bible, so tattered and well-loved, and tears streamed down my face. I realized I was gifted this Bible less than a year after my abortion. It has been with me through all those difficult years that followed my abortion and through the various layers of my healing. It was with me as I decided to share my story, as I began the ministry, and wrote my books. This Bible was with me when I got married and had a miscarriage, and when I gave birth to all four of my living children. It's been with me through multiple surgeries, through the death of all four of my grandparents, and recieving my Ankylosing Spondylitits diagnosis. It's been with me on my best days and on my worst. 

The book itself isn't what impacted me, it's all that I've learned while reading it, all the ways I've grown because of it, and all the times its been a source of comfort for me. It truly has been alive and active in my life and just the thought of putting it on a shelf brings up so many emotions for me. 

After 22 years and 6 months, I am retiring the Bible that's carried me through so much. I know my new Bible is going to be just as impactful and comforting as my old one because the Word of God always is, but it is definitely bittersweet. 

It's my prayer that everyone has a Bible that is special to them, that they've read on the good days and the bad, and that God has used to speak to them time and time again. I am eager to experience all the ways God will use my new Bible to bless me in the years to come. 


Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes