She laughs without fear of the future!


Today is my 40th birthday. 
I've never cared much about my age. I've always viewed it as the number of years since I was born, plain and simple. But for some reason, FORTY hits different. Maybe its because now I'm considered "middle-aged" or because I used to think forty was old. Maybe its because its time for my first mammogram. Or maybe its because I remember my mom turning forty, which is around the same time my parents got divorced. 

In the weeks proceeding this milestone birthday, Proverbs 31:25b has repeatedly popped in my head. 
"She laughs without fear of the future."

This verse is talking about the infamous "Proverbs 31 Woman," who is the perfect example of a wife and mother who lives her life in a remarkable way. She is a virtuous woman who takes care of herself and others, has her priorities in order, works hard, and does many wonderful deeds. Most importantly, she lives her entire life with the desire to honor and serve the Lord. 

As I've pondered this verse, I've asked myself many questions. How does this impressive woman laugh at the future? Why does she laugh? Does she think there is something funny about the future? Is it a nervous laugh or a pleasant chuckle? Is she naive? Is she a little nutty?

Then I considered the second part of that statement - without fear. She laughs at the future because she isn't afraid. It doesn't mean she was cluelss about the hardships and difficulties the future may hold. She didn't have a flipant attitude toward the years to come. It simply meant that her trust in the Lord drives out the fear that plagues so many. 

My husband and friends surprised me with a "Made in the 80's" birthday party a couple of days ago and it was an absolute blast! I haven't laughed so hard in years! It was a joyful, excited, fun laughter that I truly needed. Yes, there were definitely some funny dance moves and silly 80's attire, but mostly, it was just a wonderful time that caused joy to spill out of our mouths in the form of laughter. 

 I think that kind of laughter is what is meant by "she laughs without fear of the future." The Proverbs 31 woman was obviously smart and wise. She was fully aware that the rest of her life wouldn't be all cupcakes and rainbows. She knew that more likely than not, her future would involve heartache and difficulty, but she laughed anyway because she didn't look toward the future with fear and worry. She looked at it with expectancy and hope, knowing that the Lord would be with her every step of the way.

That's my prayer, as I begin my fortieth year, that my trust in God would grow in such a way that I can look at the future and laugh with deep joy. Not because I'm clueless or pretending every day is going to be perfect. But because I know God has good plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11) and I believe He will finish whatever He begins (Philippians 1:6). That kind of laughter comes from the joy of the Lord and can never be taken away, without my consent.

I know getting older isn't always fun and life will continue to throw curve balls. I know that we live in a chaotic, crazy world and that scary, traumatic events will continue to happen. But I also so know that the One who created me and my family, holds us in the palm of His hand. Things may not always go as I plan or turn out the way I wanted, but I can trust that He has the best plan and He makes no mistakes. Even on the hard days and the in the difficult seasons, I can look toward the future with gratitude and laugh with joy and expectation.

I believe this will be the year I learn to "laugh without fear of the future!"
I hope you will too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes