My Counselor

 A couple of days ago I heard someone on the radio say something that hasn't ever occurred to me. She said, "When times are difficult and we aren't sure how to handle situations, we can go to Jesus, afterall, He is our Counselor."

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

I've heard Jesus referred to as Counselor numerous times. I've read the verses that refer to Him as Counselor, too. I've just always been taught that this word was interchangable with lawyer or attorney. That's a comforting thought too. Jesus is defending us, like a lawyer would defend his client. I've need that analogy many times as well. But this week, when I heard Jesus referred to as a Counselor, like a therapist or confidant who gives the best advice and guidance possible, that really struck my heart. 

There are so many times when I just don't know what to do. I pray and seek God. I hear His voice and follow His lead but still, things don't always go as I hope they will. I guess it should be expected. The enemy doesn't want God's plans to succeed; so he is always trying manipulate and thwart what God's people are doing. Still, it hurts when people (especially other Christians) treat us poorly or when things don't end up the way we though. Knowing how handle these situations is so hard and can be quite scary. 

That's why hearing Jesus referred to as a Counselor -- in the sense that He is available to listen to me, validate my feelings, and offer guidance -- is so comforting. We probably all need a therapist at some time or another. I can't think of a better than one than Jesus!


He knows my heart, my intentions, my short-comings, and all the things I've survived that have caused me to be sensitive, fearful, or emotional. And you know what?  He loves me just the same. He cares about every emotion I have. He catches every tear in His bottle. He never leaves me or ignores me. He never plots against me or secretly hopes I'll fail. He watches over me continuously, ready to come to my aid. He forgives me when I mess up and He cheers when I succeed. He lovingly guides me and instructs me. He is happy to see me and wants only what is best for me. That's the best conselor a girl could ever want!

He feels the exact same way about you! The next time you need a shoulder to cry on, remember that Jesus, your Counselor, is right there, waiting to help you through the storm you're facing. 

"With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory." Psalm 73:24

Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes