Out of the Garden Project

Today my family went with a few other homeschool families to volunteer at the Out of the Garden Project. This project is such a blessing to our community. It provides food for children that have very little to eat at home. Each day a small bag of snacks is sent home with a child so he doesn't get hungry until he has the school provided breakfast the next day. Each Friday, a bag of easy meals are placed in the child's bookbag to take home for the family to eat.

I had no idea this warehouse even existed. It is in the back of a church in High Point. The warehouse is lined with boxes of donated food and bags. All of this food is sorted and bagged and delivered to students all over Guilford County. 

Its a surprising statistic, but out of Guilford County School's 73,000 students, 67% of those receive free or reduced school lunch. This is one of he highest rates in the nation. Greensboro and High Point were ranked #1 for food insecurity in the United States until July of 2016. We are currently ranked #9 in food insecurity. So, this ministry is desperately needed and I am so grateful to have been able to help with it today!

Packing Snack Baggies

Tyson enjoyed throwing all the completed baggies in the boxes.



We got quite a few packed!

All the kids did such a good job!

They had a lot of fun too!

Silly Evan...he took this job very seriously!

I found a cute fella packed in a box!

Dylan was a super helper!

Its sort of hard to tell but I'm wearing Allison and carrying Tyson on one my legs.
We were obviously all tired at the end of our volunteer time.

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to volunteer with this wonderful organization. I love finding ways for my family to serve others. This is such a practical way for my little ones to help those around us but also learn that hunger isn't just an issue that folks in foreign countries are dealing with, this is a problem that we can help out with, right here in our town. I am also thankful for all the people who are donating and volunteering with the Out of the Garden project. This ministry is truly a blessing to our community. I can't wait to take my children to serve with this project again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes