No Weapon Turned Against You


While visiting Mount Vernon a few years ago, I was awestruck as I walked through the museum, observing how George Washington's life played out. One statue was engrained into my mind as I read the plaque alongside it. It told of a battle on July 9, 1755, during the French and Indian War. Colonel George Washington was only twenty-three years old but was an officer, riding on horseback, delivering orders to the troops. Out of eighty-six officers, Washington was the only one not shot down. 

In a letter to his brother following the battle, George Washington wrote, "By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat and two horses shot under me, yet I escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!"

At his young age Washington had no idea what his future held but this battle confirmed God's call on his life. As we look back on history, we can clearly see why God protected George Washington. He would later become the first president of the United States of America. God had plans for President Washington that no one could have imagined and the impact he has had on our nation is greater than anyone can define.

As I've repeatedly viewed the video of the attempted assassination of President Trump, I've experienced that same awestruck feeling that I felt at Mount Vernon. It's been reported that President Trump never turns his head to the side when giving a speech, he always looks straight ahead. However, on July 13, he was referring to a graphic behind him, which he also never uses, causing him to turn his head when the assassin shot the bullet meant to kill him. Had Trump's head been turned forward as usual, he absolutely would have been killed. Instead, the bullet hit his ear, approximately one inch away from his brain. Each time I watch the video I am more certain that God's hand of protection was on the former president.

President Trump said, "I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be dead," He also wrote in a post, "It was God alone who prevented the unthinkable from happening. We will fear not, but instead remain resilient in our faith and defiant in the face of wickedness."

Isaiah 54:17 (NLT) says, "No weapon turned against you will succeed. You will silence every voice raised up to accuse you. These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the Lord; their vindication will come from me. I, the Lord, have spoken!"

With both our first president and the man campaigning to be our next president, God allowed no weapon turned against them to succeed. Why? Because God's plans will prosper. Job 42:2 says, "I know that You can do all things and that no plan of Yours can be thwarted."

President Washington and President Trump both realized that without God's providential protection, they would not have survived. I pray that as citizens of this great country, we are able to see that clearly as well. July 13, 2024, allowed us the opportunity to witness God at work. Years ago, God protected George Washington because He had plans to use him in a mighty way and I believe the same is true for President Trump. We can place our trust in the Lord God Almighty, who puts those of authority in place and choose to believe that His plan for our country will not only prevail but will be good. 

Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes