Honest Thomas

Yesterday, my oldest son began talking about Thomas from the Bible. He said, "Everyone refers to him as doubting Thomas. I bet he's up there like, 'come on guys, is that really what is remembered about me.'"

"One of the twelve disciples, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), was not with the others when Jesus came. They told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he replied, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.” John 20:24-25

My son's comment made me think more about Thomas and I feel sort of bad for the reputation he has received because of his doubt. The more I ponder it, the more I wonder if Thomas was just the honest one. I can't imagine that everyone else just believed without any doubts. His friends were telling him they had seen Jesus, even though everyone knew he was dead and in a tomb. They believed because they had seen Jesus with their own eyes. It's also easy for us to believe it because we have read the whole story. But if we really put ourselves in Thomas' shoes, I bet we would have some doubts, too. Some of the other disciples probably did as well; they just weren't willing to speak up about it. 

Dylan and I talked more about it, and we decided that going forward, Thomas should be referred to as, "Honest Thomas." 

John 20:26-28 says, "Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them. “Peace be with you,” he said.  Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!” “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed. Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”

It's amazing to me that Jesus miraculously appeared even though the doors were locked and after greeting the entire group, He went straight to Thomas and silenced his doubts by having Thomas touch his scars. He didn't scold Thomas for doubting. He simply did what was needed to help Thomas believe. Jesus told Thomas not to be faithless any longer and said that those who believe without seeing will be blessed, but He didn't shame Thomas for doubting. 

This is an important point for us to consider. We often feel guilty or ashamed when we have questions or experience doubt, but this story shows that even the disciples knew what it felt like to doubt, and they had been with Jesus, observing miracle after miracle, hearing listen after lesson. I believe this story is in the Bible, not to make those who doubt feel inferior, but instead to help us understand that doubt and disbelief are a part of the human experience. 

When doubt creeps in or we feel like we're losing our faith, it’s okay to bring those feelings to the Father. Just like Jesus acknowledged Thomas' doubt and did what was needed to help him believe, our God is not bothered or surprised by our emotions. He desires for us to bring it all to Him; the good, the bad, and the ugly. And He is faithful to help us learn to trust and believe, even when we cannot see. 

I'm proud of Thomas for being honest about the doubt he felt, and I believe he deserves a new nickname! The next time you feel doubt or fear or worry, consider how Jesus helped Thomas believe and ask God to help you be a little more like, "Honest Thomas."


Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes