He is With Us in Our Mess!

This morning I saw this photo and touched my heart. This is a picture of one of my favorite Christmas decorations, a nativity by Willow Tree. This specific set up was designed by my son, Tyson, when he was just three years old. I know a lot of people would say I probably shouldn't let play my children play with such an expensive nativity scene, but it’s very important to me that my children don’t view Jesus or faith as something that is “hands-off.” I don't ever want them to feel like the story of Jesus' birth is something they can't engage with. So, I’ve let all four of my children play with my expensive nativity scene and I love watching them interact with it!  

Six years ago, when Tyson created this masterpiece, he was playing with the set and talking in his quiet little saying something about the animals coming to see the baby Jesus. For a while the angel and Jesus were hanging out in the stable together but this is the way he left it the scene, in a scattered mess.  The OCD part of me immediately wanted to put it back the way it’s "supposed" to be, but something told me to leave it and really take it in for a moment. So, I did, and I took a picture of it.

As I looked at this photo this morning, I asked God, "what do you want me to see here?" And this verse immediately popped into my mind.... 

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

WOW. Everything in that photo is a chaotic mess. Except for Mary and Jesus. There they are, right in the middle of the chaos, sitting perfectly with the stars shining brightly behind them. 

As I look at Tyson's handiwork, I am overcome with gratitude. Jesus came right in the middle of all the craziness and trouble in our world. He didn't have to, but He wanted to. He left Heaven and lived in this terrible place for 33 years and then gave His life so that we could be in Heaven with Him one day. In this world, we will have trouble, but HE has overcome the world! Thank you, Jesus!

I am grateful for the Christmas season; it helps me refocus on the greatest gift of all! I'm also thankful for the nudge the Holy Spirit gave me, to truly take in the nativity scene instead of just "fixing" it. What a sweet blessing it is to have the Holy Spirit right here with me, helping me make some sense of the messes around me. 


Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes