I'll be back as soon as I'm back!


A couple of days ago my daughter and I were in the kitchen making breakfast when she decided to go the bathroom. She looked at me and said, "I'll be back in a min...well actually, I'll be back as soon as I'm back!"

I chuckled at her cute comment, but it reminded me something I've read or heard a lot lately in various places. "It takes as long as it takes” is a statement that has really hit me over the past several months. 

I have the honor of working with women from all over the world who are in the process of healing from their abortion experiences. Many of these women, and a lot of my friends, are also healing from other traumatic experiences and heartbreaking situations. Each and every one wishes the healing would hurry up and happen already. Many of them feel pressure from their spouses or family members to quickly heal and move on. 

I’ve personally tried to rush my own healing, as well. Why is that? Why do we feel the need to quickly push past the things that hurt us the most? Maybe its because we don’t feel like the best versions of ourselves while we’re healing, but the truth is, the healing journey is necessary for us to truly be ourselves again.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (NLT) says: "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace."

Soloman wrote these words and is known to be the wisest man in the world. So, I think its important for us to really ponder these verses and take to heart what they say about even the difficult moments of our lives. There is a time for the beautiful parts of life, but there is also a time for the hard parts.

Verse 11 says, "Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end."

We cannot see all that God is doing in our lives or understand why He allows us to experience certain things, but we can know that He is sovereign and trustworthy. I believe the painful moments and the healing that needs to occur after them play a particularly important role in helping us become the people He created us to be.

Once we begin the healing journeys we all inevitably need to go on, it’s important to remember that healing “takes as long as it takes.” Sometimes it will be a short season, other times it may take many years. In order to truly heal and see God’s full restoration, we mustn’t rush the process but instead we must trust the One who will carry us through the process.

When we feel pressured to move quickly on the path toward healing, we may need to look at ourselves in the mirror, or maybe at those pressuring us, and say, “I’ll be back when I’m back because healing takes as long as it takes.”

 

 Tori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes