What In the World Are We Looking At?


A couple of weeks ago I observed the most incredible sunrise while sitting on the beach. It was truly stunning. The photos don't even begin to do it justice. As I was sitting in the sand, watching sun take its place in the sky, I noticed a man standing nearby with his back turned toward the rising sun. I watched him for a while and then saw him start taking photos of whatever he was looking at. It just struck me as so odd. 

What in the world was he looking at?


This was truly the most beautiful sunrise I've ever laid eyes on and this man was choosing to turn his back to it and set his gaze upon the hotels and condos. It was very early in the morning so other than some folks walking on the beach and the occasional trash collecting vehicle driving by, it was very quiet and uneventful. I could not figure out what he was looking at or what he could possibly be taking photos of. 

Over the past 2 weeks I have continuously thought about that man.  I haven't been able to get that image out of my mind. I've been thinking a lot about the truth that is represented by the photo. 

How often are we focused on the wrong thing?

 How many times have I totally missed something beautiful because I had my eyes in the wrong direction? 

How often does God look down on His children and think, "What in the world are they looking at?"

What do we miss on a daily basis because our eyes are turned toward lesser things?


"And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:1-2 (emphasis added)

"Look to the Lord and his strength;

seek his face always." 

1 Chronicles 16:11(emphasis added)

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will heal their land" 2 Chronicles 7:14 (emphasis added)


Today I am grateful for the illustration I observed while sitting on the beach. It's caused me to think a lot about myself, my family, and even our generation. I've come to the conclusion that many of the difficulties our country is currently facing has a lot to do with where our gaze is turned. As humans its our nature to be focused inward. We are also often looking too closely at others and comparing ourselves with them. We're also tempted to give our attention to material things or the approval of men. But, all the while, we're looking in the wrong direction. We need to turn our gaze away from lesser things, fix our eyes upon our Heavenly Father, and seek His face always. -And He will heal our land.-


No matter what the situation or circumstance, I need to turn around and look towards the One who created me. Keeping my eyes on Jesus, instead of the world, will always be the best choice.

I don't want to look back and wonder, 
"What in the world was I looking at?"

Thank you, Father, for this reminder. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please don't give me a wedgie!

Psalm 84: 11-12

Beauty from Ashes